A Wonderful Chili Recipe
A Classic Chili–This is a wonderful traditional chili recipe and is made with ground beef, beans, onion, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasonings.
When ready to serve a nice final touch is to top it off with cheese and sour cream, Yummy!
One of the most attractive aspects of this chili recipe is how fast it can be made. This chili is perfect for a weeknight meal because it can be made in minutes. Imagine . . . you only need to chop an onion!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion – diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
The Chili Making Process:
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Saute ground beef and onion in your a soup pot.
- Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, beef broth, and tomato sauce.
- Stir well.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
How Do You Top It Off?
In addition to the chili ingredients listed in this recipe, you may also want to have these extra items as chili toppings.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Your favorite tortilla chips
- Diced avocado
By having these extra ingredients people can customize their bowl of chili. Everyone in my family loves to have a “custom” meal.
This is a wonderful and easy chili recipe. You and your family will love it. You can also experiment with variations–adding a bit more of this spice and a little less of another to perfect it for your taste.
Here are some other recipes from Kitchen & Bath Creations. We create the kitchen and you then create wonderful food! We publish this chili recipe in honor of National Chili Day.